Last Updated on March 8, 2022 by Tom
How long does it take for a wine cooler to get cold? A wine cooler takes about 2.5 hours to reach the ideal temperature. Also, 13 degrees Celsius is the perfect temperature for red wine. The white wine takes about three hours to reach the ideal temperature of degrees Celsius.
The wine cooler is a refrigerator that allows you to keep the wine fresh, both for aging and for consumption. Its major functions include temperature control and protection against changes. It also includes protection from the sun’s rays that negatively affect wines.
There are different cellars based on their structure, use of wine, materials, or places where they can be installed.
How Long Does It Take For A Wine Cooler To Get Cold?
To answer this question, we will take as a reference how long it takes a normal refrigerator to cool a bottle of wine. Recall that a cellar is usually from 12 to 13 degrees Celsius.
It is double the temperature at which a normal refrigerator is usually 6 degrees Celsius. Therefore, if we introduce a bottle of wine at room temperature and want it to reach the desired temperature, it could take about two hours on average.
Depending on the type of wine we are going to consume, if we want to drink a bottle of white wine at less than 10 degrees, we will have to place the cellar at that temperature to cool it. After that, wait three to four hours for it to reach the standard temperature. In the sparkling or champagne grade, the process would be slightly longer.
Wine storage temperature
First, wine can be stored satisfactorily between 7 and 18 degrees Celsius. The most appropriate temperature for all wines is usually between 12 and 13 degrees Celsius.
As long as the variations in temperature are gradual, the greater the variations experienced in the temperature of the wine, the greater the premature aging of the wine. When it exceeds 24 degrees Celsius, the wine will oxidize.
Recommended time for cooling
As for humidity, a high relative humidity between 60 and 90% RH is recommended. It keeps the cork moist and evaporation to a minimum. Similarly, it should be kept in mind that too high humidity can damage the labels so much that they may even peel off.
How Is the Wine Storage Temperature for your Home?
For a wine to keep all its properties in perfect condition, it is necessary to follow some guidelines to store the wine:
- Temperature: keeping the right temperature will allow you to take care of the wine and make it incredible: nothing damages the wine more than temperature changes.
- Light: Keep the wine bottles away from light sources such as light tubes, direct sunlight, or strong light sources. It negatively affects the aroma of the wine, giving it the so-called taste of light or producing other oxidative effects.
- Position: the bottles must be placed horizontally and slightly inclined so that the cork is in contact with the wine.
- Humidity: humidity must be constant to get the most out of our crop.
- Time: each grape and each wine require a different time. However, we recommend that users should not exceed the bottling time to respect the properties of the wine.
- Strong odors: try to isolate wine bottles or barrels in areas where there are no strong odors, as they would interfere with the final smell and aroma of the wine.
Related: How to Store Wine without A Cork?
Knowing the Perfect Temperature for Different Wines
The Organization of Consumers and Users (OCU) has come up with a list of the most balance temperatures for different wines:
- Sparkling wines: in the group of sparkling wines we can find champagne or natural or artificial sparkling wines and their ideal temperature for consumption is 7 degrees Celsius.
- Sweet white wine: Moscato-type wines are usually consumed around 13 degrees Celsius to appreciate all their properties on the palate. It is known that too low temperatures limit the possibility of fully appreciating the quality of the aromas.
- Young red wine: if young red wine enthusiasts want to consume it at its optimum temperature, they should know that their thing is to serve it in the glass and at 9 degrees Celsius.
- Rosé wines, dry young whites, and young reds: in the following scale of optimal temperatures for wine consumption, we find rosé wines that should be consumed at a temperature of 10 degrees Celsius.
- Generous wines: the so-called wines with graduations between 15 and 25 degrees, which can include Sherry, Manzanilla, and Oloroso. We should drink the wine at a temperature of 11 degrees Celsius to enjoy them at their best.
- Farmed red wines, reserva, and gran reserva: farmed red wines are served at 15 degrees Celsius while the red reserva and gran reserva are usually drunk at 17 degrees Celsius.
Reduce the Cooling Time with Double Temperature Cellar
The dual-temperature wine coolers have been so famous and practical in recent years. One of the chief advantages that this type of refrigerator offers you is its two refrigeration zones. It is perfect for storing different wines at the right temperature, thus enhancing all their properties.
It is a small cellar in which the temperature of the upper part is always lower than the lower one. The system is very simple. The single compressor conducts the cold to the upper part of the cellar.
Then, through an internal channel and a heater, the temperature is changed and increased for the lower part. The producers advise not to leave a gap of over 5 degrees Celsius between the temperature of the two areas: the upper part, colder, will be destined for whites, the lower one for reds.
It is the perfect cellar for those who want to consume wines quickly at the right temperature for a better taste.
Best Places Where We can be Installed Wine Coolers?
This is a problem that concerns all lovers of good wines. Even though the wine cooler allows us to store them in our preferred conditions, it will greatly change its taste and flavor if stored at home, while we have a high temperature or low air circulation. Let’s see what can be done about it:
Kitchen: Ideal place to install your wine cooler. The temperature is usually around 20 ºC and the humidity of the house is also very low, which makes this room ideal for storing wines without any kind of problem.
However, if you have a large kitchen with an ample refrigerator space it will be better to install it there so as not to lose storage capacity in another place that may need it more. Moreover, do not hesitate to combine it with other appliances such as coffee maker or ice maker.
Bathroom: If you’re passionate about good wines and you like everything organized and tidy, we recommend placing a wine cooler in the bathroom. Do not worry too much about losing some storage capacity since this room is rarely used at home (fortunately). This way you’ll have your wines at hand in an area that has ideal storage conditions.
Lounge: If you do not have a suitable place to install it in the kitchen or in the bathroom, another option is to move it to the lounge. What matters here is that you find a good corner where there are no direct traffic or sunlight paths, which would quickly degrade them. We also recommend leaving it covered so as not to lose humidity by evaporation. Do this with care since lack of humidity will also spoil them very quickly.
Dining room: This is another idea that can surprise you positively, especially if you receive guests frequently and know how to turn every situation into an opportunity for tasting wines. The dining table has many advantages: always available, well equipped with utensils to pour wine, ready for tasting … Plus you can make a show of trying to find the ideal moment to open them.
Office: If you usually drink good wines but at home you do it only occasionally or on special occasions, why not put your wine cooler in your office? As long as there is no direct sunlight path and the room has low traffic it will be an excellent option if space allows it.
Cellar: The cellar is one of those places where everything seems possible. They are designed so that we store our wines calmly without harming them so if they fit perfectly here. However, remember that this area must be dark since light quickly destroys red wines.
Closet: If you do not have much space and you’re looking for a practical idea, do not hesitate to install it in the wardrobe. The important thing is to leave enough space for it so that your wines will be well protected from sudden temperatures variations or humidity peaks.
Gallery: This kind of wine cooler seems ideal to enjoy good wines in the living room in winter since they significantly contribute to heating and thus provide us with a warm and cozy atmosphere in which we can enjoy them at all times.
- Top 5 The Best Koolatron Wine Fridge Reviews in 2022
- The Best Thermoelectric Wine Cooler Reviews in 2022
Wine Fridge Temperature FAQ’s
1. What is the ideal temperature for a wine fridge?
A: Most wines have a storage temperature between 12-15 ºC. However, if you want to store it for a longer time at a lower temperature, we recommend going down to 7 degrees Celsius. But be careful not to freeze them.
2. How many bottles can fit in a wine fridge?
A: This varies greatly depending on each model of each brand, but usually there are small wine fridges with enough space for 18 bottles and large models or built-ins that can contain up to 200 bottles of wine (not all types).
3. How long will my red wines last without spoiling?
A: If are kept at an ideal temperature of around 12 ºC, they can last up to 6 months without spoiling. If not kept at this temperature they will spoil in a very short time after opening.
4. How long will my white wines last without spoiling?
A: White wine should be kept between 10-12ºC so it can be preserved for up to 4 months before going bad.
5. What are the factors that affect the conservation of wines?
A: The most important thing is the way it has been opened since if you have opened your bottle with a corkscrew , you should keep it in hermetically sealed conditions or else it will spoil quickly.
Another factor that affects storage is light which deteriorates them very quickly although it can be mitigated by using wine fridges with a tinted door, which will substantially reduce the light that passes through it.
6. How should I clean my wine fridge?
A: All you have to do is wipe it with a soft cloth and dry it well before putting your bottles back in it. If there are spills, use paper towels or products specially designed this type of problem. Do not use scouring creams or other abrasive products since they will damage the surface.
7. How often should I clean my wine fridge?
A: You must do it at least once a month to avoid bad odors, humidity problems and also to remove any dust that may have settled on it. To make it easier you can buy special equipment for this task with which you can do an efficient job in just a few minutes.
In this article, we covered the How long does it take for a wine cooler to get cold. We discussed about wine storage temperature, faqs and perfect temperature for wine. Hopefully you found our tips helpful in deciding when to drink your white wines! If not, feel free to reach out with any questions about choosing a particular model of wine fridge based on its features or where best to place it in the home.